Wednesday, December 20, 2017

The Christmas Letter












Dear Friends and Loyal Readers:

All in all, 2017 turned out to be pretty average, not counting Donald Trump being president. As usual I unfriended several people on Facebook who simply had to go. And I achieved a new personal best on Words With Friends: 173 points for QUAINTER!

Mitch and I didn't go anywhere exotic like Bora Bora, just a week in Florida last March and a few long weekends here and there during the year. That was fine with me since I hate flying as much as food poisoning, but since Mitch is constantly itching to travel somewhere strange we might have to do that this year to dampen his severe wanderlust.

Last summer we had the exterior of our house painted purple! Depending on the weather it's pretty wild, and I can only hope that our deplorable next door neighbors (who still have not spoken to us in the three years since they moved in, or maybe it's four) find it offensive. Since you only live once and life is short, we finally got some new carpeting in our bedroom and a new furnace and hot water heater. Besides, the carpeting was stained from past cats vomiting on it and the furnace was on its last legs and about to blow.

Mitch and I watched all six seasons of VEEP on Netflix. Actually, it wasn't on Netflix, it was some other streaming service, but you get the point. The show started out really funny but ended up being a bummer, since it's about politics and how funny is that after all.

At the end of September something exciting happened to me -- I had a heart attack! (FYI, it's much more fun to say than to actually do. It always gets a reaction!) Anyway, the doctor put in some stents and I have to take a boatload of prescription medications every day for a year, but I'm fine now so I guess they're working. The worst part is that we were away from home at the time and in our haste to pack up and get to a hospital I left my favorite hair dryer where we were staying. (Well, not the worst part, but now every time I dry my hair, which is basically daily, I think about having a heart attack.)

Since this is supposed to be newsy, I should report that none of our pets died this year and our one remaining cat killed two birds and one mouse, so his hunting instincts are still sharp, although oddly enough, when there was a mouse in the house behind our fridge, all Lurch did was sit and stare at it. (The fridge, not the mouse.) We learned that one of our siblings is a meth head, another one had a screaming fight that resulted in the police being summoned, another one was hospitalized for a mysterious illness and yet another hasn't been seen in more than thirty years. So much for family! At least our wonderful son is thriving and is as beautiful and brilliant as ever, maybe more.

Wishing you all Happy Holidaze!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Obama's New America

Barack Hussein Obama relaxing at home. The situation on many of America's college campuses is dire. Not only are we learning that studen...