Thursday, December 17, 2015

Don't Be a Has-Been


An ad now running on the Internet for acting lessons taught by Dustin Hoffman touts him as the star of The Graduate, Tootsie and Rain Man, movies made in 1967, 1982 and 1988, even though he's been in about fifty more since then. Okay, fine, so those were blockbusters, but who wants to learn acting from a has-been whose last success was almost twenty-eight years ago? That got me wondering: Am I a has-been? If so, I'd like to stop being one right now. After all, today is a perfectly good day, no more or less valuable than any other day in my life, not counting the music.

Okay, that day in 1979 when I had my first solo art opening in an eminent D.C. gallery -- that was a great one for sure. So was the one in 1987 when my son was born, and that other one in 1997 when my first column appeared in print and I ran around Salt Lake City buying up all the newspapers to send to distant friends and family. Those admittedly were good days, more memorable perhaps but not necessarily better than all the others. Still, I must have had special days since then, and maybe if I think about it long enough I'll come up with some.

Anyway, I may be old but I'm not dead, and I'm hoping to have another blockbuster or two myself.  Maybe even today.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Plop, Plop, Fizz, Fizz

It's hard to believe that what began in 2004 as an innocent tool intended for Harvard college boys to meet attractive coeds on campus ha...