Thursday, February 27, 2014

The Man Behind the Curtain

With the exception of atheists, who blindly believe there is absolutely no God (and with just as much evidence as the complete opposite), most of us sort of think there might be a God, but we're just not sure. The thing is, we have no proof. Today I think I got some.

In our bedroom there are three large windows, which directly face our neighbor's house. Not that she's sitting there with binoculars, and even if she were there's a stand of trees between us, still we opted to hang shades for privacy. About two weeks ago, the shade covering the largest of the three windows, which goes almost from the floor to the ceiling, broke. A marvel of simplicity, it was operated by pulling it down or pushing it up. Suddenly, for no apparent reason, the strings that made it work were visible, hanging loose and spilling over the top. It was clearly a goner.

This was a drag for many reasons. First, we couldn't remember where we bought the shades years ago, so replacing just one of them seemed unlikely. Second, dealing with it seemed like more trouble than it was worth, considering all the other things in our house and our lives in need of repair. So we just left it down. But that soon proved depressing, with the bedroom always dark and dreary. So I fooled around and devised a way to push the shade up manually, stopping halfway and tucking it into the top of the double-hung window, so at least half the amount of daylight poured in. And believe me, in Maine in winter, you'll take all the light you can get.

This morning, as I was carefully pushing the broken shade up to its resting place halfway up the window, I had the thought, "God, I wish this would just get fixed!" Right then a loud "whoosh" sounded, followed by an equally loud clicking, and suddenly the strings that had been hanging loose at the top were taut and the shade was repaired.

Upon reflection, I concluded that all those times I had prayed for God to fix this, that and the other, He was busy helping other people. Just my luck He heard my prayer about the shade and not the one about my hip surgery or my dying father. Anyway, I think He might be out there, and what He hears or doesn't hear is random. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE stories like this. You should write a book of collected events like this. It would sell. I usually say, "If there is a God then....." as a sort of test with a sense of humor and I can't tell you how many times my keys, my sunglasses, my wallet, etc. show up in the very place I had looked about 10 times already. MY God and I have a running joke about this. Besides never littering, it is how I pretty much always get good parking places.

    ReplyDelete

Hell In New York City

Jew-hater. The fat, ugly woman pictured above -- and yes she is fat and yes she is ugly -- is also an ignorant, Jew-hating racist. She was s...