Friday, November 16, 2012

Sometimes the Truth Hurts

I'm starting to think my Wall Street Journal-reading days are over. Our family is simply not rich enough to continue getting the paper delivered. It's not the cost of delivery that bothers me, or the editorial content; it's the ads. Just who the heck are they aiming at? Not us, that's for sure, and thanks to my hard-working husband's dedication to his profession, we are definitely among the 1% that is so hated by the other 99.

But really, those ads are for an entirely other caste. Starting with a transistor radio for $799 (okay, so it has a built-in 8-hour battery), continuing on with a Tiffany gold pendant for $2,100, and ending with a professionally decorated penthouse in Daytona Beach, "fully furnished and offered turnkey" for only $3,300,000, I simply cannot relate. There are ads for private jets that will assure you arrive at your destination "fresh and energized," and wrist watches that cost more than my house. Not only am I clearly not the target audience, but it sickens me that such extremes exist in our society. If not for those ads in that newspaper, living the simple life up here in rural Maine, where duck boots from L. L. Bean and a lobster dinner represent the epitome of class, I wouldn't know about such atrocities. Excuse me while I cancel my subscription and go stick my head in the sand.



2 comments:

  1. once again your picture makes it!

    And as for those ads, it's the WATCHES! Who even needs one of those anymore with atomic time built into your cell phone, let alone one for 10 g's

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you see it? The WSJ wants its readers to think they are some kind of "elite". If they carry those ads then they are giving their readers the message, "this is you". It is just like the ads for beer or cars that are really selling sex.

    ReplyDelete

Nuke Gaza (or at Least Ilhan Omar)

If they can say "From the river to the sea," I can say "Nuke Gaza. " That's extreme, I know, but hey, do you rememb...