Wednesday, October 9, 2024

The Perils of A Long Life

When he was in the first grade, my son had an unusual assignment. The students, all 6 or 7 years old, were asked to write about what they considered the perfect age. He wrote the following: "I'd like to always be 18. Old enough to have a girlfriend but not so old to have those aching backs." (He always was a smart kid.)

I am fortunate to still be alive at the age of 78, and today my back is not aching, although it had been for the last week or so. Fortunately we have a hot tub and stock jugs of Tylenol and Advil, and so I made it through. Nevertheless, I expect something to hurt me every day and I'm usually right. 

Some of my former friends were not so lucky, dying in their 50s and 60s. And my own mother died at 62. But considering what's happening to the people I care about, growing older is no walk in the park, despite how Jane Fonda looks at 86. Without naming names, following is a list of some of my friends and their medical issues at the age they are right now:

70: Pancreatic cancer requiring chemo and possible surgery

71: In hospital with pancreatitis

70: Rare disease possibly requiring bone marrow transplant

75: Recovering from a double mastectomy after breast cancer diagnosis

81: Recovering from breast cancer radiation treatments

71: Diabetes and atrial fibrillation

70: Parkinson's Disease

I'm thankful to be relatively healthy compared to that bunch, although I did have a heart attack when I was 70 and I've got the stents to prove it. Still, as the saying goes, it's better to be on the top side of the grass. So if you're not on life-support and your biggest problem is what to make for dinner or how to pay the electric bill, thank your lucky stars and have a nice day!



No comments:

Post a Comment

TV REVIEW: Ellen DeGeneres/For Your Approval

For reasons I don't understand, many people choose to watch depressing fictional stories as a way to unwind from the depressing factual ...