Monday, October 7, 2024

Diversity Diminishes Doctoring

Photo from my computer, via Google 
Right now everyone is worried about who will be the next president. But elections pass, leaving us with a problem that impacts all our lives regardless of party affiliation.

For the last few days my husband has complained about his thumb. He had gotten a teeny cut on it last week but despite basic home care it had become swollen and painful to the touch. Finally his grumblings got my attention and I remembered when I had the same problem a few years ago: a small cut on my thumb, painful to the touch, and swollen. 

I had suffered with it for weeks until finally I went to Urgent Care and a doctor there instantly diagnosed the problem. It had an odd name: Felon Finger. He praised me for coming in, saying that without taking a course of antibiotics it would have gotten much worse and threatened the surrounding tissue. I might even have lost my thumb if left untreated!

So this morning my husband went to the office of our primary care physician. He couldn't get in to see our regular doctor but instead met with another, much younger partner in the practice. Mitch shared his suspicion as to what it was and the doctor said he had "never heard of felon finger." Two young nurses also said they had "never heard of felon finger."

WTF -- don't they teach "Google It" in medical school these days? Instead of lowering their admissions standards to achieve greater diversity, perhaps institutions of learning (like Duke University) should place a greater emphasis on augmenting the skills necessary for healing the sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment

TV REVIEW: Ellen DeGeneres/For Your Approval

For reasons I don't understand, many people choose to watch depressing fictional stories as a way to unwind from the depressing factual ...