Monday, May 8, 2023

Praying for Peace and Halvah in Israel

Israeli halvah in a food stall in a Tel Aviv market
I will be traveling to Israel later this week and will not be taking my computer with me, or in fact any sort of "appliance" on which I could write a blog post. I will return on May 28th (unless I don't). 

Glancing through a guide book, I read about Tel Aviv's "epic nightlife." Intrigued, I looked up the word epic and found that it refers to lengthy poetry, historical sagas, and other written material describing some sort of pageantry. Searching further I found the less literary and more informal meaning, which is "on a grand scale."

I can hardly imagine what that could mean. To me, nightlife on a grand scale could only occur in New York City between the years of 1969 and 1980, otherwise I'm in bed by 10:00. Besides, I tend to avoid nightlife when it's in an area within striking distance of incoming missiles from bordering enemy nations. But that's just me.

My scaled-down expectations are simple: finding a good bagel, which I hear are rare in Israel, tasting some extraordinary halvah, which is supposedly great there, and getting back home alive, with my cat also alive (and speaking to me) when I arrive.

Pray for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Low Crimes and Miss-Demeanors

I haven't tuned in to watch any of the trial coverage for Donald Trump's latest non-crime case, but I have heard snippets on my car ...