Tuesday, October 12, 2021

The Poison of Politics

This blog began as a way for me to keep writing after losing my Washington Post gig when we moved from D.C. to Maine a dozen years ago. I had caught the 750-word column bug in the late 1990s writing for a Salt Lake City newspaper, and it stuck. So that's my mission statement.

At first it was just funny, Seinfeld sort of  stuff, and a movie review every so often. But then politics started creeping in. And then cancel culture. And before I knew it I was writing about the Dreadful Democrats, even though most of my friends vote Democrat and I don't consider any of them dreadful. 

Still, I hope my friends understand that I'm not talking about them, but about Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer and Maxine Waters and Richard Blumenthal and our President and Veep and all the other elected leaders who spew lies and vitriol and blame the Republicans for anything bad that comes along.

But I guess that some readers who have found their way here have taken offense. Most recently I lost a dear friend who holds fast to her Democratic ideals. We used to get together for lunch every couple of months and had a rousing good time together, but now she claims she's "too busy" and doesn't foresee a time when she won't be. (Too busy to eat?)

This is sad, but not sad enough for me to put a sock in it and stop writing what I think. I will do so until the Nazis, I mean the Democrats, come pounding on my door in the middle of the night to cart me away, which I'm sure is not too far off, considering. Bottom line: Losing friends is not as bad as losing yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sundays Are Hard

It's Sunday, so the New York Times is in the house. Even though we buy it primarily for the crossword puzzle in the magazine section, s...