Monday, June 22, 2020

Fun Things to Do While Staying Safe

Now that I've been staying home to avoid getting Covid-19 and dying, I'm doing some new things to keep boredom at bay. Of course being an artist, I can always just hide out in my studio and make bad art nobody wants. I highly recommend that, and anyone can do it; no training is required. But that gets tiring, so I've started answering all those scam phone calls that keep coming despite having registered my number on the Do Not Call Registry. It's quite entertaining.


Almost all the calls are from robots, many with Chinese accents and a few from India. They are all very well-meaning, alerting me to impending dire events like my credit is about to be ruined, my bank account may be overdrawn, my home warranty (who knew I had one?) is about to end, my Apple account is severely in trouble, something is wrong with my home computer and my car lease is on the verge of expiring. In each case it's "my last chance to remedy the situation" and it's the "last time" they will call me to help. (It's not.) To fix things all I have to do is enter my bank account information or my credit card number. Cursing loudly at the robots can be good fun, and offers a welcome break from the ordinary along with some needed lung exercise.

Another riotous pastime is actually reading the Sunday New York Times, which we have home-delivered, instead of just doing the magazine crossword puzzle and using the rest of the paper to light the barbecue. Like just now, I read an opinion piece about how white people are very busy these days, "Trying to Be One of the Good Ones." Author Maeve Higgins opens with, "There are a lot of reading lists being passed around among us whites." Really? I have not gotten any and I am white, so go figure.

Anyway, she goes on: "There are so many anguished conversations among us white people taking place right now about what to write on our protest signs, about that time we said that thing to a black friend and it changed the energy in the room, about whether re-watching the movie "The Help" counts as progress." 

See what I mean? That paper is a hoot -- it's full of lots of articles just like that. I had no idea. 

1 comment:

  1. The whole thing makes me so angry. It's all a sick twisted game, that has nothing to do with race, but everything to do with college indoctrination and cultism. They picked to subject to see if these will destroy the county, well 3, BLM, police and the virus, which I believe the democrats are in on with China and you can only imagine how thrilling it is for the leaders in Iran watching them take down these statues, so hmmm what about them?

    ReplyDelete

Where is Your Focus?

By now, most functioning adults should have realized two things: Joe Biden is a demented fool who is not really making any decisions for our...