Sunday, October 6, 2019

Krazy Kat Lady

I might be losing my mind. Not sure, but it's a distinct possibility. The main symptom is not knowing whether my cat is inside or outside. That might sound like no big deal in terms of mental illnesses, but believe me it's a bummer.

For example, when I am 100% certain he is inside, I look everywhere: under beds, inside all closets, in the basement, behind the dryer, and anyplace he might have gotten stuck. This procedure takes a long time, and naturally I worry that he's suffocating somewhere all the while. Eventually I start to panic, and may or may not take an anti-anxiety pill or a few drops of CBD tincture. It's about then that he saunters into view, strolling across the lawn on his way back from the woods behind our house, and presses his nose up to the glass back door, meowing for entry. Offering no apologies or explanation whatsoever, he finds a cozy spot and promptly falls asleep.

It's almost worse when I'm sure he's outside, especially when it starts to rain or snow. Then I go from the front door to the side door to the back door and then the front door again, and of course the back door, frantic that he must have been hit by a car or caught in an animal trap somewhere since he doesn't like getting wet and usually comes home right away when the weather turns bad. So I call his name and walk the property and shake the treat can, having stopped whatever I was doing that might actually need to be done in a timely fashion in order to look for him. Out of ideas and fighting back tears, I finally head home and find him in the middle of the living room, sitting and staring at me like I've lost my mind. Which is why I think I might be losing my mind, like I said at the start.

I thought of all this because earlier today I asked a neighbor to make a small adjustment on my propane stove, something I knew he could do, while I was at his house visiting with his wife and he was running out to do an errand. Giving him my house key, I assured him that the cat was outside and nobody was home, so he would be undisturbed. About an hour later he returned and said the job was done, although he was surprised by the cat who hissed angrily at him. "But Lurch was outside when I left," I said. "Well, maybe you've got another cat you don't know about," he replied.

That might explain all of this. Yes, it would be weird, but at least I wouldn't be nuts.

1 comment:

  1. Very funny ... we need that “cat is out” / “cat is in” device. Better yet ... let’s get him a gps tracker tag ... I always wanna know what he does when he gets out (or hides when is in) anyway

    ReplyDelete

Sundays Are Hard

It's Sunday, so the New York Times is in the house. Even though we buy it primarily for the crossword puzzle in the magazine section, s...