Saturday, October 5, 2019

Everyone's Crazy Sometimes

Facebook has allowed me to reconnect with several old friends from my youth, and for the most part it's been a positive experience. That's the good news.  The bad news is that a few of those old friends are completely bonkers today, destroying treasured memories of our fun times together as kids with our whole lives ahead of us. This has led me to believe that some stones are better left un-turned. 

I also wonder if people might consider me to be one of those stones since depending on when you checked in on my life, I may or may not have been considered to be off my rocker. Like in my early 30s, there was that trip I took across Canada with a virtual stranger, based on knowing him for a few weeks and finding him handsome and dashing. Off we went in the dead of winter with many feet of snow on the ground and blizzards in the forecast, barely passing another vehicle for weeks, just the two of us and his dog. It was true love, I thought, until we reached our final destination and I met his fiancee. 

Then there was the time in my early 40s when, my husband out of town and me feeling lonely, I impulsively bought an adorable German shepherd puppy at a street fair. But once I got him home,  and especially after seeing the size of his poop at only ten weeks old, I remembered that I despised German shepherds and hated the dog after only a few hours. Fortunately when my husband got back he quickly tired of my incessant sobbing and agreed to return the pup. Explaining that his wife, that was me, was completely insane and had been released from a mental institution just a day before she bought the dog, he was able to secure a full refund.

There was that car I bought and didn't want by the time I drove it home from the dealership. (Thankfully I was dating a lawyer at the time.) And the poor guy I left at Madison Square Garden after the Janis Joplin concert, telling him I was going to the bathroom but really I got on the subway and went home. In fact, there were so many times when my behavior was certifiable, I'm shocked I'm still at large. 

In my own defense I'll say at least I never posted any of that stuff on Facebook. Until now. Uh oh....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sundays Are Hard

It's Sunday, so the New York Times is in the house. Even though we buy it primarily for the crossword puzzle in the magazine section, s...