Tuesday, August 20, 2019

What Would Buddha Do?

For several years now I have found solace in the talks of a spiritual teacher named Tara Brach. While her podcasts mostly just regurgitate what she has heard or read over her years in the business, still she knows a lot more than I do on the subject and thus has been a boon to me in desperate times, like when my blood pressure soars to 210/120. The only area where she disappoints is her inability to hide her political leanings.

More than a leaning, let's just say Tara is a rabid Democrat who wears her heart on her sleeve, which is a bit of a turnoff if you don't share her feelings. Sometimes it's like listening to Rachel Maddow spout "wisdom" on how to live, and let's face it, that's a stretch.

Apparently all us "deplorables" who did not vote for Hillary Clinton, who don't view the president as a racist, who do not want open borders and instead favor a lawful path to immigration, who oppose free college for all and who find Elizabeth Warren a bitter pill to swallow are undeserving of enlightenment and certainly would never be seeking it. How else to explain Tara's smug assurance that all her listeners are of one mind?

So for the second time in the last two years, I wrote to Tara at her website and very cordially and wholly without malice expressed my sincere desire that she keep her mindfulness lessons and meditations free from the poison that is politics. She never answered me the first time and I'm not holding my breath now, but it would be nice to get a response. I mean, what would the Buddha do?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hamas Is In The House

In case you are wondering what's going on with our colleges and universities these days, let me explain: Hamas is in the house. They hav...