Wednesday, April 24, 2019

The Learning Never Stops

While I was happily Facebook-stalking my son this morning, an ad popped up hawking, "The slip-on sneaker literally everyone wants." The accompanying photo showed a shoe I would not even want to be buried in, if I were going to be buried -- which I am not, thank you very much. Who would be? Anyway, that's another post.

Since I definitely did not want that sneaker, I wondered about the true meaning of the word literally. Had I been wrong all these years? Turns out I had. While one definition is "exactly, word for word, letter for letter," the more informal meaning is "used for emphasis or to express strong feeling while not being literally true."

Conventional wisdom says we learn something new every day. Well, I already have and it's just past eight in the morning! I guess this will be a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where is Your Focus?

By now, most functioning adults should have realized two things: Joe Biden is a demented fool who is not really making any decisions for our...