Friday, June 15, 2018

My Private Detention Center

"So help me if you can, I've got to get back to the house at Pooh Corner by one,
You'd be surprised, there's so much to be done: Count all the bees in the hive,
Chase all the clouds from the sky
  --

Back to the days of Christopher Robin and Pooh."

Those lyrics are from "House at Pooh Corner" by Kenny Loggins & Jim Messina. I've always found them quite soothing whenever I'm caught up in adult thinking, like that mess with my health insurance and the water pump in the basement is making that terrible noise again and what the heck is that lump under my arm? At times like those I find it helpful to go outside and chase the clouds, at least for a little while.

Today is a blank slate with plenty of time for cloud-chasing (or bee-counting except I'm allergic so that's out). It's my favorite kind of day, one with no plans: no lunch with a friend, no doctor's appointment, no volunteer commitment -- in fact, no reason to leave my house except to pick up the mail, half a mile away. I like this for many reasons, not least of which is maintaining a childlike attitude towards life.

The only thing on my agenda is sitting at my easel and painting. This is what many artists do, and with good reason: It's quite a lot of fun, and very distracting from the transitory, often negative things going on in the world posing as important that serve only to dampen our spirits, and about which we can do nothing.

For example, unless you're planning to go to Texas and help out at one of those immigrant detention centers housing the children whose parents are awaiting trials for breaking our laws, what good does it do you to fret about it? Besides, from what I saw on TV the kids are eating well and receiving medical care when needed, have lots of games to play, and are even attending schools that are likely superior to those in that bad place they fled seeking a better life. And I'm certain more than a few of them stay busy chasing the clouds from the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sundays Are Hard

It's Sunday, so the New York Times is in the house. Even though we buy it primarily for the crossword puzzle in the magazine section, s...