Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Today's the Day

That old Fleetwood Mac song hijacked by Bill Clinton during his presidential campaign advised us all to focus on the future. It was quite popular and propelled Clinton right into the White House. Surely everyone alive can hum the tune to "Don't Stop," but how many people have studied the lyrics? They are quite insane:

If you wake up and don't want to smile,
If it takes just a little while,
Open your eyes and look at the day,
You'll see things in a different way.

Don't stop thinking about tomorrow,
Don't stop, it'll soon be here,
It'll be here, better than before,
Yesterday's gone, yesterday's gone.

Why not think about times to come,
And not about the things that you've done,
If your life was bad to you,
Just think what tomorrow will do.

Don't you look back,
Don't you look back.


So yesterday is indeed gone and tomorrow will soon be here, and guess what--it will be better than before! Before what? Before today? Before yesterday? We have no way of knowing since we can't look back, and even if we could, yesterday is gone. It's gone, but tomorrow will soon be here.

This is dumb because there is no mention at all of today, which is all we have. I'm going to the periodontist today, which will suck, and then later I'll force myself to go to my gut-wrenching water exercise class, led by a woman who should be a drill sergeant in the Marines and behaves as if she is training our little group of over-50 ladies to be Navy Seals, all of which explains why I woke up a little while ago and I'm not smiling. Which is odd, since it says right there it takes a little while after you open your eyes, but it's already been a little while and my eyes are clearly open or I could not be writing this.

The scariest part is where it says, "If your life was bad to you, just think what tomorrow will do." Oy. But anyway, since today might be the last day of my life--one never knows--I'll just wait until my eyes open a bit more and I can see things differently. More coffee might do the trick.

2 comments:

Plop, Plop, Fizz, Fizz

It's hard to believe that what began in 2004 as an innocent tool intended for Harvard college boys to meet attractive coeds on campus ha...