Monday, January 7, 2013

Mosquito Math

In a few weeks my husband and I will travel to Florida. To get ready, we have to do nothing. Then in two months, at the end of March, I will go to Haiti with a friend. To prepare for that trip, I have to get shots for a banana-boatload of diseases I might catch if I'm unlucky. I also have to start taking malaria pills, and bring plenty of DEET insect repellent. Those damn mosquitoes--they're causing all the ruckus!

Here's what's odd: The distance from Maine to Florida is 1700 miles. The distance from Florida to Cuba is 90 miles. From Cuba to Haiti-- also 90 miles. Some mosquitoes can fly 100 miles. So how come they never go to Florida for some of that unprotected, DEET-free meat? Those are some dumb skeeters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Plop, Plop, Fizz, Fizz

It's hard to believe that what began in 2004 as an innocent tool intended for Harvard college boys to meet attractive coeds on campus ha...