Thursday, January 19, 2012

Like Me on Facebook

My breakfast this morning included two "all-natural, country style" chicken sausage links, with "a hint of sage and thyme" according to the package. The brand is Al Fresco, which they print as al fresco, all lower case. They are yummy and have only 50 calories each, which is a lot of bang for the buck if you ask me. They come fully cooked so all I do is pan-fry to heat them. Besides great taste, they get bigger the longer you cook them which is sort of fun to watch, especially when my husband is out of town.

Penis jokes aside, I like them--I really, really like them, and so does Mitch, and so we buy them often. Today, while they were heating up, I noticed something new on the package: Right next to the Gluten Free and the Pork Free symbols were the Facebook logo and the Twitter logo. Huh? What? Buying them and eating them is no longer enough; now I'm supposed to like them on Facebook and "tweet" about them too?

Of course I know the answer is yes; every one of their customers is being directed to go out and advertise for them. This blog, if it had as many readers as it got when I wrote that I wished Keith Olbermann were dead--which I still do by the way but I'm happy enough his show is off the air and he's a big, fat has-been--would be a huge advertisement. As it is, maybe one or two of you might even try the stuff after reading about it here.

In the year 2012, advertising is king. It's even going to elect our next president. Everyone is always being asked to like something on Facebook. The local spay and neuter clinic here in Freeport, Maine wants their customers to like them on Facebook. The gas station at the corner wants me to like them on Facebook, although how that would fill up my tank is beyond me, and I already like them enough out there on the corner of Route 1 and Pine. Every diner, shoe store, flower shop and savings bank now wants you to like them on Facebook, and why would you? What do you get out of it, besides an  annoying stream of advertising? And natch, Facebook and Twitter get money out of the whole deal I suppose, something to do with page clicks, and with each one their boy-genius CEOs get richer and richer.

Perhaps I should send the sausage manufacturer a link (ha) to this post and maybe they'll send me a coupon for 10% off my next purchase. As my father would say, it could happen.



4 comments:

  1. And that is why you do it. The advertiser offers incentives to the "fans" and Twitter supporters. It is much cheaper than paying an advertising agency to do the work for them.

    GL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, I wrote to the sausage people and sent my blog post link and this is their answer---no discount:

      "Thank you for taking the time to write about us, it is always nice to hear what a great product we have to offer please continue enjoying our great and many wonderful flavors we have to offer."

      Delete
    2. And that bit of writing comes from their head of PR!

      Delete
    3. no wonder they want facebookers to write about their sausages; their writer sucks!
      they should have sent you a free box of the little weinies.
      and yes, deneb doesn't bother with capitalizations.....

      Delete

A Dark Day At the Symphony

Yesterday I saw first-hand the blind ignorance of Mainers. Sure, there are smart Mainers, notably my dermatologist, my hip surgeon, my denti...