Saturday, January 21, 2012

Author's Message

Some snotty coward who chose to remain anonymous left a comment on my blog yesterday that said, "Somebody needs to get a life!" I assumed that somebody was me, and that the fact that I write this blog means I have nothing better to do. Well guess what: I don't.

Years ago I wrote a weekly newspaper column that was similar in tone and content to this blog. The difference was that I got paid to do so, earning me a pittance plus the respectable title of "newspaper columnist." In our capitalist, money-loving, phony-baloney, superficial, dog-eat-dog society, having a job equals having a life, which is why so many unemployed people feel worthless.

Writing this blog is the best thing I do each day. It's tons of fun, I'm good at it, it exercises my brain and sharpens my editorial skills, and every once in a while I learn something new. The whole thing takes about thirty minutes, leaving me plenty of time to live a so-called "life" that Anonymous says I should "get." That life includes shopping for food, doing errands, soaking in my hot tub, feeding the cats, making art, sleeping, cooking meals, doing volunteer work and none of your damn business.

What is a "life" anyway? If you ask me, sitting in restaurants, pushing papers in an office, going out to the movies and going shopping with friends is a gigantic waste of life. The best part of mine, other than hanging with my husband and son, is writing this blog, which I will continue until I'm too weak or feeble to do so. I hope you enjoy reading it, but I don't really care.

1 comment:

  1. Well I can tell you that anonymous is NOT Deneb. Deneb loves your blog. I am so glad that it makes you happy to write it because it really makes me happy to read it. The best line of this one: "none of your business". No fair, Dagmar, I want to go shopping with Andrea.

    ReplyDelete

A Bridge Too Far

Many people flipped out when, a few years back, President Trump called the media "the enemy of the people." Of course, most of the...