Monday, June 24, 2013

The Ninth Circle of Maine

With so many levels of humanity, I sometimes wonder why it is my fate to spend so much time near the bottom. Not that I want to occupy any seats of power or royal thrones or even run-of-the-mill political offices. And having been a boss several times in my career, I hated being responsible for other people's productivity and promptly started climbing my way back down the ladder. Not sure, but I may have gone a tad too far down.

This morning I went for a job interview and finally was offered a writing position in the state of Maine. It pays $20 per week. I accepted it. Not only that, I am looking forward to it. That was the good part of the day. Soon after after that I went for a haircut, a horror I endure every two months. I also get my hair colored, which should come as no surprise seeing as how I became addicted to the practice at a very young age (6). Nevertheless, I hate having a stranger's hands all over my head, also a result of something that happened at a very young age (4).

So there I was, with my own particular set of phobic feelings, and since I have been quite short of sleep these last few days, I nodded off during the proceedings. Each time I awoke I heard a variation of the the following conversation taking place right into my ears, between the woman doing my hair color and another stylist with time on her hands. At one point I thought it was a dream, but it turned out not to be:

First Stylist: So do you let your bunnies go outside?
Second One: Sometimes, but not all of them. Last week Mrs. Higglesbottom got out, and it was so scary.
First: Oh no! Was that the first time she got out?
Second: Well sometimes we let them out, but Mrs. Snugglesbottom never goes out, so we had to go chasing her....
First: I never let my bunnies outside. My chickens are outside a lot though.
Second:  Well of course. Mine too.

A cell phone with pictures of two little bunnies appeared directly in front of my face. Mrs. Cuddlebottoms was pointed out to me. I went back to sleep. Then on the way home I turned on a local radio news station and heard that suicides are up in Maine, as well as arrests for heroin possession. Small wonder.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your writing position!
    As for Mrs. Cuddlebottoms... well, hasenpfeffer is always an option.

    -Tedinski

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to look that one up Ted, and it sound delicious! Good suggestion....

    ReplyDelete

Plop, Plop, Fizz, Fizz

It's hard to believe that what began in 2004 as an innocent tool intended for Harvard college boys to meet attractive coeds on campus ha...