Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The Maine Way

There's an article in today's Wall Street Journal about whether or not it is appropriate to wave at passers-by while out riding your bike or running. I skimmed it, and it seems to say that some people do and some people don't, and it's nicer if you do. Here in Maine, that sort of discussion would never take place. They don't. End of story. They also don't smile unless you have the same last name or have been formally introduced.

I walk a few miles every day, and often pass someone running, biking or walking in the opposite direction. The usual reaction around these parts is to lower the head and turn it slightly away from the passer-by. I am getting quite good at this. I also have hundreds of smiles saved up, no longer wasting them on people I don't know. In fact, the last time I smiled at strangers was back in March, in Haiti, where everyone smiles a lot, even if they don't know you. Poverty does that, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mixed Reviews: Poor Things

Last week the televised Academy Awards came and went and I never noticed. But I did hear about the winners the next day, and once again I sh...