Monday, June 17, 2013

Here's to Your Health

An alien just arriving on our planet today would likely feel very sorry for the Earthlings: What a pathetic mess we all are! I say this because, as I do each morning seeking freelance writing work, today I logged on to Craigslist and for a change clicked on Volunteers--after all, even if I can't earn any money I can still do some good for someone else. In the past I have found interesting things there, but today every posted position had to do with the crumbling health of the citizenry. For your amusement I print below, verbatim, the kind of volunteers currently being sought in the state of Maine:

Do you or a loved one have psoriasis?
Have you had a heart attack or stroke? 
Do you have one or more warts? 
Does bowel pain put a cramp in your lifestyle?
Would you be interested in taking part in a Type 2 Diabetes research trial? 
Do you suffer from migraine headaches? 
Are you suffering from severe facial acne? 
Do you have COPD, emphysema or chronic bronchitis?
Are you a healthy Type 2 Diabetes sufferer?

Happily I was able to answer "no" to each and every question, which means once again I failed to find meaningful work. But it got me wondering what ordinary people are doing to have so many illnesses, syndromes, diseases and afflictions visited upon them. Is it possible that Earth is not an appropriate environment for humans after all, or are we just doing something fundamentally wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mixed Reviews: Poor Things

Last week the televised Academy Awards came and went and I never noticed. But I did hear about the winners the next day, and once again I sh...