Monday, May 30, 2011

Honoring Our Soldiers

The world did not end last week as predicted, and I for one am glad to still be here for another round of summer. It arrived here in Maine today, coincidentally along with Memorial Day.

It's funny how holidays seem to come along just when you need them, and this one brought the good weather with it. It was hot and sunny, even here, so to celebrate both the occasion and the sunshine, I planted flowers in my garden and drank a diet Coke.

Later in the day I did my part to honor our fallen soldiers by stuffing myself with fattening foods at a neighbor's backyard barbecue. I also got a ton of mosquito bites and had too much wine and now I feel very uncomfortable, just like our soldiers must feel when they are in the killing fields, and isn't that what empathy is all about?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Obama's New America

Barack Hussein Obama relaxing at home. The situation on many of America's college campuses is dire. Not only are we learning that studen...