Friday, March 29, 2024

Who Cares About Tom Brady's Ex-wife's New Boyfriend?

I have an AOL email account. I got it many years ago when email first was available and I was a freelance writer in Washington, DC.  It now contains hundreds, if not thousands, of email addresses for friends and former colleagues, publishers, editors and other contacts I may need. So I have kept the account.

Over the years AOL has been bought and sold repeatedly, by people I don't know and never will, and who cares. But the last owner turned it into a gossip engine for meaningless bullshit, and when I open my account to see my email, the vapid words jump off the page at me. I hate this.

Usually I ignore them and get my mail, but sometimes I am so appalled, amazed, abashed and ashamed at the level of "news" the owners of AOL are pushing and thus have to take a peek. Today was one of those days, when I clicked on a story entitled, "All You Need to Know About Gisele Bundchen's New Boyfriend." I wondered, do I need to know anything about him when I don't know anything about her? Okay so she was Tom Brady's wife, but then I don't know anything about Tom Brady except he plays football, or did. And so what? What could anyone need to know about strangers they will never meet and who have absolutely no control over or impact on their lives? Is everyone just getting dumber?

What I want to know is who are the people who work at AOL and how much could they possibly earn that would compel them to devote themselves to writing these stories when things in the world are as dire as they are now?  Also, who decided that illegal immigrants coming into this country with no skills and possibly with nefarious plans should get free debit cards worth $18,000 a year in New York City, a so-called "sanctuary city"? And how long will it take for the USA to completely fall/fail? Will it be in my lifetime? And can that Gisele lady, or her new boyfriend, or Tom Brady do anything to stop it?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sundays Are Hard

It's Sunday, so the New York Times is in the house. Even though we buy it primarily for the crossword puzzle in the magazine section, s...