Monday, April 25, 2022

Beyond the Binary

I'm a little worried about myself because I just read about someone who is supposedly a "trailblazing global superstar" named Janelle Monae and I never heard of her. Where have I been? I mean she's trailblazing, plus she's global, and she's a superstar! But still, nothing. I have heard of other superstars, like Michael Jackson and Elvis Presley and all of the Beatles, and many others I ignore as much as possible, like J. Lo and Brittany Spears and the Kardashians and Kanye West who now calls himself Ye -- see, I know that -- but never this woman.  

I can relate!
The point of all this is that trailblazing Janelle has recently "come out" and is not a woman, or she is but doesn't feel like a woman, not totally. Following is her statement which I read this morning: 

"I’m nonbinary, so I just don’t see myself as a woman ... solely. I feel all of my energy. I feel like God is so much bigger than the 'he' or the 'she.' And if I am from God, I am everything. But I will always, always stand with women. I will always stand with Black women. But I just see everything that I am. Beyond the binary."

So really I guess I am just like Janelle after all! I feel all of my energy, except of course when I'm really tired or had too much to drink the night before. I also believe I am from God, so I guess that makes me everything too. But unlike Janelle, I do not stand with Black women or White women, I stand with cats and dogs and bunnies. And those adorable little chipmunks. And not just female cats and dogs and bunnies and chipmunks but male cats and dogs and bunnies and chipmunks as well. 

So in a sense, I am way beyond the binary: I am beyond species. Meanwhile poor Janelle is stuck being only human. Now who's the trailblazer?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hamas Is In The House

In case you are wondering what's going on with our colleges and universities these days, let me explain: Hamas is in the house. They hav...