Thursday, November 4, 2021

Democracy Dies in Darkness

Come here if you dare, but remember -- no dissenting views allowed.

Alas, despite his vigorous campaigning, including posting 100 signs throughout the community, going from house to house meeting the citizens and hearing their concerns for several weeks before the election, then standing outside the polls on Election Day to introduce himself to the voters, with his opponent never anywhere in sight on the campaign trail, my brilliant and fair-minded husband came up short in his quest to join the Freeport Town Council. See, he's not a registered Democrat, and so even if he is possibly the smartest inhabitant of his 1,100-person district -- just my opinion, mind you -- the fact that he is a registered Republican did him in. Sadly, the town of Freeport will pay the price.  

But the real reason Mitch lost the election is because seven years ago I posted in this space a letter he wrote to a distant friend planning to visit and called it a "Guest Blog." Besides saying how great life in Maine is, Mitch said he found the locals to be "uptight" and "no fun." (This was before we met our friends Mary and Doug, who are tons of fun and not uptight, but also from "away.") I thought his letter was funny, sue me.  

Fast forward to now, when a group of those uptight and no fun Mainers were pissed about it and spread the word through the Democratic pipeline that the candidate's wife is a racist, having read some of my other posts in which I dared to mock those dumb Black Lives Matter signs. (Draw your own conclusions about whether or not both Mitch and I are right.)

On the plus side, I am now free to write whatever I want here, without fearing that some outraged neighbor will stumble upon it and attach to my husband my personal views. I can also let our house phone ring off the hook instead of having to answer it for some loon to ask if he can build a fence or please lower the cost of a dog license or weigh in on whatever other bits of trivia that feeble body deals with. So I guess we can call it a lose-win for the Roudas, despite being a big fat loss for Democracy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Obama's New America

Barack Hussein Obama relaxing at home. The situation on many of America's college campuses is dire. Not only are we learning that studen...