Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Unplug for Mental Health



What's life for? Certainly not for just having fun or being happy. And that is the focus of our society, a very shallow one as compared to others that thrived in the past and even today in other countries. Despite the pandemic, the average American feels entitled to a good time above all else. Sickness, poverty, depression -- these are annoyances to be banished, replaced with pleasure, hilarity and everlasting youth achieved by plastic surgery, Peloton bikes and lots and lots of money.

It's a crying shame. The famous old saying, ''Youth is wasted on the young,'' pales in comparison to ''Life is wasted on humanity.''

This morning's bleak outlook was fostered by my mistake of logging on to my computer. I could kick myself for doing it since it helps nobody, least of all me. Here at my house things are beautiful, peaceful and serene with nary an explosive in sight. Oh, there was a tick crawling on my bathrobe and that totally freaked me out for awhile but I got over it. (FYI, the bathrobe is currently in the washing machine.)

Still, in Maine spring is finally here, the flowers are blooming, the birds are chirping, and the sun is shining. It's only somewhere else that people are bloodied and dying, bombs are tearing apart bodies and lives and throngs of angry men in flip-flops and tattered clothing are hurling bricks and rocks at a variety of enemies. 

I have got to unplug before I go crazier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sundays Are Hard

It's Sunday, so the New York Times is in the house. Even though we buy it primarily for the crossword puzzle in the magazine section, s...