Friday, May 7, 2021

Finding Gold in the Muck

Jamie Lee today, unretoched.
Inspiration often comes when you least expect it, and from the strangest sources. Yesterday I was indulging my lowest self by reading a story online about how the actress Jamie Lee Curtis wasn't really as hot as everyone thought way back when. It seems that some magazine cover photos had been digitally altered to make her appear flawlessly in shape, which was her hallmark at the height of her fame. 

So there I was, awash in the kind of mindless trash that's so prevalent on the internet, when in the middle of an interview with the actress today, she mentioned her two favorite sayings: ''Compare and despair'' and ''Nothing changes unless something changes.''

My head exploded. Both of those phrases hit home for me in a deep way. I decided right then and there to put them both into practice. So far so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Dark Day At the Symphony

Yesterday I saw first-hand the blind ignorance of Mainers. Sure, there are smart Mainers, notably my dermatologist, my hip surgeon, my denti...