Monday, June 17, 2019

More Fun Than a Barrel of Monkeys

The Democratic presidential candidates are excited and raring to go!
Many people get excited over the Oscar Awards show, or the Emmys or Golden Globes. I can't say I care all that much about those. Instead, I am counting the days until the Democratic debates held on two nights later this month and featuring 20 people who have the chutzpah and/or balls to think they've got what it takes to lead all 327.2 million of us! It should be quite a scene, and I'm already planning our menu for those two evenings: Simple fare that can be eaten in front of the TV -- nothing we could choke on if we laugh too hard, and certainly no milk to come spouting out of our noses.

To help you understand their differences I did a little research and found "mission statements" from the candidates. Following are excerpts straight from the mouths of some of these presidential wannabes:

Cory Booker: "I believe we can build a country where no one is forgotten, no one is left behind."

Pete Buttigieg: "I launched a presidential exploratory committee because it is a season for boldness and it is time to focus on the future."

Julian Castro: "I'm running for president because it's time for new leadership. Because it's time for new energy."

John Delaney: "I think I'm the right person for the job, but not enough people knew who I was or still know who I am." (Who is he?)


Tulsi Gabbard: "There are a lot of challenges that are facing the American people that I'm concerned about and that I want to help solve."

Kirsten Gillibrand: I'm going to run for president of the United States because as a young mom I am going to fight for other people's kids as hard as I would fight for my own." (She's 52 years "young.")


Kamala Harris: "I believe our country wants and needs some leadership that provides a vision of the country in which everyone could see themselves."

Amy Klobuchar: "It is time to organize, time to galvanize, time to take back our democracy."

Joe Biden: "If we give Donald Trump eight years in the White House, he will forever and fundamentally alter the character of this nation, who we are, and I cannot stand by and watch that happen."

Bill de Blasio: "As president, I will take on the wealthy. I will not rest until this government serves working people." (His net worth is $1.5 million.)


Marianne Williamson: "We need a moral and spiritual awakening in the country."

Beto O'Rourke: "This is going to be a positive campaign that seeks to bring out the very best from every single one of us, that seeks to unite a divided country."

Elizabeth Warren: "It's time for women to go to Washington and fix our broken government, and that includes a woman at the top."

Bernie Sanders: "The only way we will win this election and create a government and economy that works for all is with a grassroots movement, the likes of which has never been seen in American history."

John Hickenlooper: "I've proven again and again I can bring people together to produce the progressive change Washington has failed to deliver."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Somebody's Pies For Sale

As a pretty decent baker myself, I almost never buy a pie made by a stranger. I've sampled enough of them to know they are not worth the...