Monday, June 24, 2019

Fried Balsamic Brussles Sprouts with A Maple Glaze

For reasons beyond my comprehension, most people here on Earth are petrified to stand out from the crowd. This explains the explosion of body tattoos and facial piercings that once signaled an individual who was out of the mainstream but quickly became the mainstream, as does almost every new thing. Now it's the non-pierced and non-tattooed who come off as the free thinkers.

Fashion designers, chefs, wedding planners and architects all use this human trait to their advantage. Clothes look alike, restaurant menus are identical, barn weddings are in and new home communities are indistinguishable from one another, assuring the purveyors of each plenty of eager customers.

To avoid the label of "oddball," you read the books on the bestseller lists, see the movies everyone's talking about and binge-watch the series of the moment. You drive a Prius, unless you're rich then you drive a Tesla. Here in Maine, dogs are chosen for their popularity: it's either a black lab or a golden retriever, or if you want to break the mold, a yellow lab.

I write about such things in this blog. It lets me blow off steam, and at the same time hone my writing skills. Some people take offense and for that I'm sorry. I just call it like I see it.  I don't like it, but there is no other option -- at least not yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Somebody's Pies For Sale

As a pretty decent baker myself, I almost never buy a pie made by a stranger. I've sampled enough of them to know they are not worth the...