Friday, March 25, 2011

Sugar Shock

Recently my husband and I drove about four hours to visit our son in Vermont. We stopped halfway at one of those highway rest areas--not the Jersey Turnpike kind that makes you hate being an American, but the other kind you find on small highways--helpful, offering the weary traveler bathrooms and maps. I wasn't hungry, but since on car trips I use food as a buffer between myself and the huge 18-wheelers that I fully expect to fall over onto us every time we pass one, I entered a separate building marked "Vending Machines" to see what edible drugs, if any, were for sale.

Mitch scoffed at the prospect of finding anything healthy in a mechanical, unrefrigerated coin-operated box, but I believed that, with a careful eye, something with nutritional value might be discovered. Aha--I found it! A new choice displayed among the Doritos and Twizzlers and Oreos: tuna salad and crackers. Or, if one preferred, chicken salad with crackers. How cool is that? I had to have it. It was only two dollars, and besides, it was so cute. (See photo.)

Back on the road I busied myself with opening my treat. The packaging job was stellar, raising my expectations, and inside I found a package of six little crackers, a mini can of tuna and a teeny plastic spoon. I dug right in. By now you've already guessed that it was disgusting and inedible, even though it was Bumble Bee, a perfectly respectable brand. Still, there was something odd about it.  A glance at the ingredients revealed it contained fructose and corn syrup. Now, I don't know about you, but when I make tuna salad at home I do not add sugar. So why would they do that for the general public?

Discuss.

2 comments:

  1. sing to the tune of Mary Poppins "spoonful of sugar" song-' a cupful of sugar helps the inedible go down, inedible go down,...in the most delightful way.."

    I can not believe that Bumble Bee would ruin such a mainstay product- Glad you read the label. I would have picked that out too, but who can see the labels inside the vending machine.

    JR

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with JR with the Mary Poppins song. I usually bring snacks with me on long trips.

    GL

    ReplyDelete

Obama's New America

Barack Hussein Obama relaxing at home. The situation on many of America's college campuses is dire. Not only are we learning that studen...