Monday, February 18, 2013

Being Old Isn't When You Are

I write a blog for the fun of it. It would be nice if it made money. It does not. It would also be nice if I had a huge following. I don't. One way I could get a huge following would be if I wrote about something specific; it's called having a niche. My husband thinks I should get one. These days, one really popular niche is aging, i.e., talkin' bout my generation. The Boomers: Once we rolled around in the dirt at Woodstock and changed the world. Now we are dirt and everyone ignores us. Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber are current idols; their combined ages could be my grandchild.

Anyway, I do not want to write about how to stay young or how to feel young or any of that bullshit. You can't stay young; nobody has yet, not even Jane Fonda. (Okay, Tina Turner maybe, but then, we haven't seen much of her lately.) But there are blogs, and they are quite popular, that write about all that "you're never as old as you feel" or "you're only as old as you look" stuff, or something along those lines. One of them is called Aging Abundantly. The lady who writes it reads my blog sometimes, and I reciprocate by reading hers. She talks about how to stay young or how to follow your dreams or how not to get old before your time, or dying old people and how brave they are, or how to be creative in your eighties and isn't that special. It makes me sick. Old, shmold--can't I still just be a person? After all, I'm still here and I'm still me, I just have a lot more memories.

1 comment:

  1. I will read you til the day I die. It is just as good as looking out the window! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

A Bridge Too Far

Many people flipped out when, a few years back, President Trump called the media "the enemy of the people." Of course, most of the...