Sunday, July 8, 2012

A True Gelato Fiasco

I have been trying to lose three pounds for the last year and a half. Sounds crazy, I know, but still---that's what's going on. And I have failed because of one miserable truth: food is delicious. If only it tasted bad, we'd all be thin and there would be no disease.

My particular Achilles heel of late is gelato. Somehow I don't care much for ice cream, but the Italian version is a horse of a different color--bad analogy I know but anyway, you get the point. Here in Maine there is a chain called Gelato Fiasco, and I understand the name all too well: just walking by the shop results in a fiasco for my figure. I went there last night and overindulged as usual. The problem is all the flavors--there are like a hundred of them and they are so unique and you can taste each one if you want, which I do, so by the time you make your decision you've already consumed quite a bit of the stuff. Caramel Salt! Chinese Five Spice! Peanut Butter Whoopie Pie! Espresso Chip! Key Lime Pie! Who can resist? And why would you, with life being so short and you only live once and if not now when, etc., etc.

Last night my husband did the unthinkable and registered for membership in the Red Spoon Society, which means that after buying several gelatos you can get one for free. Now we have to keep going; as Mitch says, "who doesn't want free gelato?"

3 comments:

  1. I hate to do it, but I have to admit my complete ignorance of gelato.

    I've traveled the world, and never had any!

    Is it ice-cream like? Almost but not quite utterly unlike ice cream?

    -Tedinski

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ted: It is ice cream, in fact the word is simply Italian for ice cream. But it is much lighter than the American kind, made with less butterfat and less sugar, which means you can eat MORE of it without feeling full....try it! (It is sold in supermarkets now too, if there is no gelato store near you.) It is also unique for the tremendous variety of available flavors, many, many more than the mere 31 touted by Baskin-Robbins!

      Delete
  2. I like the lemon. and the ginger. and the coffee flavor. and the peach. OMG!

    ReplyDelete

A Dark Day At the Symphony

Yesterday I saw first-hand the blind ignorance of Mainers. Sure, there are smart Mainers, notably my dermatologist, my hip surgeon, my denti...