Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Bean Boot

Living way up here in Maine, where the whole entire state has only one-eighth the population of New York City, can sometimes make you feel like you're on a different planet than the rest of the country. For example, the Weather Channel barely knows our name, calling us "north of Boston" when anything happens around here. We could be having a total blizzard and they'll say, "the snow has finally ended in the northeast." Hello? I can't see out my windows, what about us? But I digress....


So it's fun to go over to the L. L. Bean Mother Ship--actually it's called the Flagship Store but Mother Ship is so much cozier, don't you think-- to get a dose of Americana and remind yourself why it's good to be here. Just like they say about New York's Times Square, everyone who comes to Maine goes to Bean's. Plus it never closes, ever, so if you're feeling lost and alone because your husband is out of town, just to pick something at random, you can go there and find comfort among all the smiling salespeople and goods we import from sweat shops the world over.

Today I was craving a Starbucks skim milk extra hot latte, so I drove the two and a half miles into town and got one, then moseyed over to the Bean "campus" to join civilization for awhile. There are lots of tables and chairs and benches all around, making it quite conducive to set a spell, and so I plunked down in view of the famous Bean Boot, which is a 22-foot tall replica of the, well, the Bean Boot. Next to it is a sign that says, "For your safety, please do not sit or climb on the boot." Naturally everyone sits and climbs on the boot. The other thing everyone does is take a picture of themselves, their kids, their gramps and grannies, their dogs and their nannies on the boot, leaning against the boot, and standing in front of the boot. Personally, I was stunned. I'm no statistician but I'm guessing that in the half hour I was there, 90% of all visitors who came along took pictures of the boot. Couples who were alone stopped total strangers and and asked them to take their pictures.

I found that interesting and I thought you would too.

2 comments:

  1. go over there with a sharpie pen, same color as the print on the sign......carefully add an "h" between the s and the i. But what about the climb part? hmmmm.....maybe attach the c and the l, making a d. then make the i into a U and make the b into a p.
    done. take me a photo of that sign after you fix it up. please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will do no such thing, and that is quite scatological of you, I might add!

      Delete

Plop, Plop, Fizz, Fizz

It's hard to believe that what began in 2004 as an innocent tool intended for Harvard college boys to meet attractive coeds on campus ha...