Sunday, July 1, 2012

On Tom Cruise's Divorce

Tom Cruise telling Katie he wants a divorce.
I have never met Tom Cruise, but he seems like a nice enough guy. I have certainly enjoyed him as an actor, and think he excels at that particular craft. But for some reason, people hate him for his religious beliefs. The Church of Scientology is somehow seen as less respectable than the many Churches of Jesus Christ, so Cruise is a labeled a "nutcase" who might be gay, and Katie Holmes, his soon-to-be-dumped wife, has in reality dodged a bullet. So goes the general consensus.

I hate the consensus, general or otherwise.  If you ask me, you can take the whole lot of consensi and float them out to sea, for all their carbon-copy opinions are worth. What I want to hear is what this individual over here thinks, and what that individual over there thinks, not what everyone thinks they are supposed to think to be accepted by the group and not be branded as "different," which in our culture is a fate worse than death. I don't get that. Anyway, remembering that scene in "Jerry Maguire" where Cruise is on the phone with Cuba Gooding shouting, "Show me the money!" has brightened many a moment for me. I hope he finds happiness.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Jill, I've always wondered what "obnoxious" means. Your comment illustrates it perfectly!

    ReplyDelete

Obama's New America

Barack Hussein Obama relaxing at home. The situation on many of America's college campuses is dire. Not only are we learning that studen...