Friday, July 20, 2012

Not About the Shooting

By now you have heard about the latest mass shooting by a crazy person, which took place in a suburban Denver movie theater not far from Columbine, the site of another such occurrence many years ago. Naturally it's all over the news, sensationalized to the max by the ever-hungry, ever eye-shadowed and cleavaged and coiffed female announcers who dominate the daytime. By tonight it will be an even bigger story and in the hands of the men, who lack cleavage but make up for it with Botox. Over on FOX TV the tragedy already has a name--"Horror in Theater Nine"--making it just about ready for the fictionalized account that will doubtless be playing in theaters everywhere in no time, although probably not in any named Theater Nine. But that's not what I'm talking about today, because to do so would be stooping to their level and I want to be above all that.

Instead I will focus on the fact that I got a clean bill of health this morning from a PA, or Physician's Assistant, who I went to see regarding a personal problem that's none of your damn business but was causing me much discomfort. When I called for an appointment a few days ago I was told that the doctor was booked for several weeks but the PA had some time today. And guess what? She was great, and in some ways even better than the doctor I usually see who was so busy. Plus the fact she was not at all snooty and full of herself and all her diplomas like many MDs tend to be. I have to admit that I was a tad reluctant at first, thinking I wanted a real doctor and not just an assistant doctor. But now I'm over that, and think perhaps that more of those might be one solution to our rising health care costs.

1 comment:

  1. Way to camoflage your doctor visit with Horror in Nine.

    ReplyDelete

Plop, Plop, Fizz, Fizz

It's hard to believe that what began in 2004 as an innocent tool intended for Harvard college boys to meet attractive coeds on campus ha...