Monday, June 18, 2012

The Library Card

Today I had one of those conversations that make me think I am losing my mind, or hope to very soon.

Several weeks ago I went to my local library and applied for a membership card. After completing the paperwork I was told the actual yellow card would be ready in about ten minutes. I browsed the stacks awhile and went back for it, but the lady said she "hadn't done it yet" because she got too busy. Apologizing, she promised it would be ready for me the next morning.

I went in to get it today. A different lady was at the desk. She could not find the card, and was positive that I must already have it in my possession. I said if I did I wouldn't be asking for it. She repeated that it was confusing to her that the last woman would not have given it to me right then. I said me too. She told me to check my purse and pockets. She had never heard of anyone not getting the card when they applied for it. I said me too. She said it didn't really matter, that I wouldn't need it to check books out because I'm in the computer. I asked why they have cards then. She ignored me. As I walked out the door, she called out after me, "Oh look, here it is. I guess you really didn't have it after all." I said no kidding. She handed it to me, saying, "You'll need this."

3 comments:

  1. Be nice to your librarian - they know a lot

    ReplyDelete
  2. On our last road trip, we stopped at Dunkin' Donuts. We had a coupon for a 99 cent bagel with a medium coffee. I step up, ask for a medium black coffee and a cinnamon raisin bagel and hand the smiling face across the counter from me the coupon. She asks, with a straight face, "With cream cheese?" to which I reply, "No, thanks, just a plain uncut bagel."

    After staring at the coupon for a while, she says, with a straight face, "I'm sorry, sir, but in order to get the 99 cent bagel special, you HAVE to take the cream cheese." Mind you, the cream cheese is in a separate packet!!!! I reluctantly took the packet, and on the way out the door dropped it into the garbage.

    This girl must have been a Florida relative of your librarian!!!

    ReplyDelete

Plop, Plop, Fizz, Fizz

It's hard to believe that what began in 2004 as an innocent tool intended for Harvard college boys to meet attractive coeds on campus ha...