Wednesday, March 2, 2011

An Epiphany

I am thinking of all the things I have done wrong in my life, some worse than others, but the worst of all is my cat Gizmo, who I may have screwed up. He stares at me all the time. I'm talking all the time. Like right now I am lying in bed writing this and he is sitting next to me-- not curled up in a fluffy little ball like a normal cat, but sitting straight up like he has a rod inside him and staring at me. And when I open my eyes in the morning he is there, sitting and staring. I go to the bathroom and he races ahead, getting there first, so when I am on the toilet he is sitting and staring at me. When I eat breakfast--sitting and staring, rod-like.

Now I am not a veterinarian but I think I am correct in stating that this is not normal cat behavior. What has gone wrong? Did I mention he is 15, so his physical health is not a problem, he's just mentally ill. Have I done this to him?

Gizmo is the opposite of my son, another creature I raised who never sits and stares because he is never around. And I remember from when he was around that he never sits up rod-like, in fact he slouches. Besides the point, I know, but still I mention it. Anyway, my son rarely calls, never emails, barely texts. I see him hardly ever, and this in a way makes me happy while making me sad, since I know that it means he is living his life, he has flown the coop, I did a good job. It would be terrible to have him behave like the cat.

Still, if only they each were a teeny bit more like the other, including posture, that would be good.

6 comments:

  1. LOL!!! Totally freak me out with your cat. Are you sure he is not part of a Steven King book/movie????

    GL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gabby, I am freaked out by him daily! You've got to see it to believe it....

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE THIS POST

    LOVE THE PICTURE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a painting! Nice musings about cat and son...

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you don't give your children anything to talk to their shrink about when they're in their 30's... have you really done them any favors?

    Perhaps cat and kid got mixed up.

    ReplyDelete

Plop, Plop, Fizz, Fizz

It's hard to believe that what began in 2004 as an innocent tool intended for Harvard college boys to meet attractive coeds on campus ha...