Last night I attended a performance at a local theater. When I got home I studied the program, reading with interest the bios of the cast members, which often include a personal note at the end of their acting credits. What jumped out at me was a line that had been blacked out with a marker. Still, holding it up to the light I could make out the words, "An avid sex fan and sexaholic." Really? Either the man had chosen to include that in his resume or someone on the staff was up to no good.
Interested to find out more, I emailed the theater and learned that it should have said the actor was "an avid Sox fan and Soxaholic," but their electronic proofing system had missed it. So 17,000 copies (!) had to be redacted by humans at the box office. And still, it was legible to anyone with an eagle eye, like me.
As a former editor and proofreader with years of experience, I would have caught the error for sure. Just another example of how people are better than machines.
No comments:
Post a Comment