Thursday, March 28, 2019

Sparring with Radio Jocks

This morning I heard a discussion between two radio jocks about the acting chops of Leonardo DiCaprio. One of them called DiCaprio an "underrated actor." Huh? Really? On what planet, I wondered. So I Googled DiCaprio, as anyone in their right mind would, and learned he has won multiple awards such as an Oscar, a Screen Actors Guild Award, a British Academy Film Award, three Golden Globes Awards, and been nominated for each many more times. Sounds pretty not underrated to me. My dander up, I dialed into the show.

That's Ken on the left and Matt on the right, both literally and politically.
My on-air opponents in this discussion, who go by the names of Ken and Matt (their real names), claimed that acting awards mean almost nothing and that what counts is how the people feel about an actor. I maintained that everyone loves DiCaprio, certainly a lot more than Daniel Day-Lewis who is  in my opinion a cure for insomnia in human form. (I still have a crick in my neck from snoozing during Lincoln.) But Ken and Matt insisted he's the greatest living actor we've got! They also dissed Brad Pitt as not being capable of giving "a performance of any depth." What? 12 Monkeys? Burn After Reading? INGLORIOUS BASTERDS?

I still like Ken and Matt, especially Ken who is my neighbor and friend and a lawyer in real life which comes in handy, but I'm never going to the movies with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bring On the Tear Gas

On October 12, 1969, knowing next to nothing about the situation, I accompanied three college friends to a demonstration. It was the first o...