Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Still Crazy After All These Years

Twenty-four years ago, my husband played a practical joke on me that I never forgot. Today I finally got him back. It feels good.

I had gone on a much needed vacation from motherhood, my first since the birth of my son who was by then six years old. Leaving him with his father, the world's worst driver -- he's gotten better since then -- for more than a week caused me much trepidation, but I did it anyway. The "joke" was an alleged car accident. I returned home to find the two of them greeting me on our front porch:

It was all fake but fairly convincing, wouldn't you say? I certainly thought so, and didn't sleep well for the next ten years. So earlier today when I went for a facial and the esthetician applied something she called an astringent "sheet masque," I asked her to take a photo of me, seen here. Then I sent it to my husband who is out of town at a business conference, with a note saying I was in the ICU Burn Unit at the local hospital.
 
It worked! He fell for it and freaked! The only thing I did wrong was answer the phone when he called. But then, he's in Kansas City and he would have called the hospital and tried to get home and, well... I'm obviously a nicer person than he is and I wimped out. But still, I thought it was pretty, pretty, pretty good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sundays Are Hard

It's Sunday, so the New York Times is in the house. Even though we buy it primarily for the crossword puzzle in the magazine section, s...