Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Just Call Me Adolf

Yesterday I enacted the Final Solution for the Japanese beetle population around our house, and I don't like it one bit.

We have a once-lush ornamental something-or-other growing beside our back deck. Planted by our home's previous owners, it was strategically placed to afford privacy from the street when using the hot tub. Besides that, it is huge and can be seen from several windows when inside the house. Trust me, it's a big deal landscaping-wise, so when it started to look crummy a few weeks ago, its shimmery green leaves turning brown and crinkly, we were distraught. Then yesterday, suddenly the tree was alive with bugs, hovering and darting, happily feasting on the poor tree. A neighbor identified them as Japanese beetles, and said I better get some "bug bags" ASAP!

The man at the garden shop knew exactly what to do, and suggested the Beetle Bagger, a system designed to solve just my problem. I purchased two of the death kits and set about doing my dastardly task right away. This morning there are two big plastic bags of dead Japanese beetles hanging from nearby trees, lured away from the ornamental whatever by the siren call of the "food floral attractant and a sex lure in a sealed tray with removable top." It says on the box to replace the bags "when they are full or when they begin to emit an offensive odor, which can repel Japanese beetles," so I guess they're not so dumb after all.

Anyway, I suppose I should be happy that I am saving my ornamental hot tub screen, but at what cost? I swear, I have no idea how Hitler lived with himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sundays Are Hard

It's Sunday, so the New York Times is in the house. Even though we buy it primarily for the crossword puzzle in the magazine section, s...