Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Words to Live By


Maybe you've noticed or maybe you haven't, but these days all restaurant servers utter the exact same word after they bring your order to the table and are about to step away: "Enjoy!" This is usually spoken more as a friendly command rather than a suggestion, and is often accompanied by a big smile and sometimes, in the pricier establishments, a flourish of the hand. It has become so commonplace that when I don't hear it I wonder if I have done something offensive that makes me unworthy of such enjoyment.

"Enjoy!" now takes its place alongside "Have a nice day!" and "Smile!" as directives we receive from total strangers who know nothing of our inner turmoil. Considering the current world situation, I suppose that's sweet advice and God knows we all can use all the help we can get. But still, I wish once in awhile a waiter or waitress would go rogue and say something like "I'm pretty sure there's no e.Coli in your burger" or "Let me know right away if the soup is cold." Instead, it's always "Enjoy!" One time in Quebec City it was "Enjoi!" That was kind of fun.

Anyway, my wish for you today is that you have a nice day and also enjoy it, regardless of whether or not you eat anything.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Mixed Reviews: Poor Things

Last week the televised Academy Awards came and went and I never noticed. But I did hear about the winners the next day, and once again I sh...