Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Repeat After Me


I have never been a religious person. Growing up in a "sort of" Jewish household --we were kosher but ate bacon -- I attended Friday night services at Central Synagogue with my parents, although mostly for the food. But more and more our world seems utterly crazy, a wild amusement park where Donald Trump as America's next president is no longer out of the question. And if it's not him then it's the cackling (and barking) witch.

I'll admit it: I need help keeping my head on straight. One thing I do to maintain my equilibrium is silently repeat the following passage. When you're feeling frazzled, try it; it works. And don't let the word "God" throw you, it's just a place-holder for something beyond our understanding, not some old bearded guy in a long white robe.

Let nothing upset you.
 
Let nothing frighten you.
 
Everything is changing.
 
God alone is changeless.
 
Patience attains the goal.
 
Who has God lacks nothing.
 
God alone fills every need.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Mixed Reviews: Poor Things

Last week the televised Academy Awards came and went and I never noticed. But I did hear about the winners the next day, and once again I sh...