Saturday, October 17, 2015

What's Your Title?

This is what my husband might call me.
If Dr. Ben Carson becomes our next president, will he be referred to as Dr. President Carson? Or perhaps Dr. Mr. President, or Mr. Dr. President Ben Carson? Just how will that work? And besides, he is retired but we still have to call him doctor. Why is that?

It's odd that certain titles stick forever, even in the case of a fool and even if that fool only held the job for a little while. One fool that pops into mind is Sarah Palin, who was the governor of Alaska for a 20-month period ending in 2009, yet she is still called "Governor" today, six years later.

I never earned a title other than "Mrs." and "Mommy," later shortened to "Mom." Even though my son is closing in on twenty-eight, I have not retired from either position, still doing my husband's laundry and offering Zack advice and chicken soup when requested. So from now on I shall be Mrs. Mom Andrea Rouda, despite what my husband mutters under his breath from time to time. (See photo.)

1 comment:

  1. Your son isn't much older than my daughter!
    No worries about silly titles. Some of the worst people I've ever met have had very impressive titles. Whether it's the title you give yourself, or the title your husband mutters, YOU are GOOD to GO.

    --Tedinski

    ReplyDelete

Plop, Plop, Fizz, Fizz

It's hard to believe that what began in 2004 as an innocent tool intended for Harvard college boys to meet attractive coeds on campus ha...