Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Non-Movie Reviews

Feeling down, I decided to go see a movie today--there are several new ones out that seemed intriguing, and they happen to be playing right near my home. My first choice was Blue Jasmine, the latest offering from Woody Allen. Naturally I assumed it was a comedy, but a few reviews and an explanation of the plot convinced me that it's even worse than my own life, which sort of sucks right now and which is why I want to see a movie. You know, the whole escapism thing. But this Blue Jasmine is all about unhappy people having nervous breakdowns which I can see at home for free, so I nixed that idea pretty quick.

Then there's Jobs, about Steve Jobs, the brilliant but dead CEO of Apple. It stars Ashton Kutcher, who all I know about is that he does TV commercials for cameras and was married to Demi Moore. But hey, I always liked Steve Jobs, so I read a bit about it and it turns out that most of the people who saw it say it sucks, is the poor man's Social Network, and is only worth seeing if you are a fan of Ashton Kutcher. I am not.

The last option is Elysium, starring Matt Damon in a futuristic, violent, dumb and boring tale about another planet where are all the rich people have gone, leaving only deadbeats on Earth. For reasons of plot development, only Matt can save everyone from the evil High Priestess of Elysium, played by poor Jodie Foster who seems never to have fully recovered from that whole "shooting Ronald Reagan because I love Jodie" thing. So now I'm not going to a movie after all, until or unless I get really desperate, which must be why they make movies in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nuke Gaza (or at Least Ilhan Omar)

If they can say "From the river to the sea," I can say "Nuke Gaza. " That's extreme, I know, but hey, do you rememb...