Thursday, December 20, 2012

Insomnia Hurts, But Not As Bad As a Broken Neck



Surely one of the best uses of the Internet is treating insomnia. Instead of facing the long night ahead all alone, you've got the world wide web. Here in Maine it's two in the morning and I can't sleep, but it's daytime somewhere and I can check it out with live webcams and real time blogs, if I were so inclined which I am not. So I'm doing this and wondering what I did before there was this to do. And while this isn't really doing anything, it feels like it is, and it's certainly more productive than watching TV or even reading other people's thoughts, which for all I know were written when those people couldn't sleep either.

In fact, I can't sleep because of something I read in a magazine just before I turned off the light. It was a somewhat disturbing essay about how the author's father ended the suffering of a baby bird that had fallen from its nest by breaking its neck, and how she remembered that as being a very loving act on his part. Oy. And that got me thinking of how we ended our dog's suffering by having our vet kill him by lethal injection, something we humans hideously refer to as "putting him to sleep." And next thing you know, there I was, unable to even put myself to sleep. I guess that's ironic, in a way.

Usually I can find humor in almost anything, but there is nothing funny here. And now it is even later and I am still awake. Right now I would euthanize for a box of Entenmann's chocolate chip cookies. Or actually, a box of Entenmann's anything, but alas, we don't stock such things, which is silly, because of emergencies like this. Exceptions must be made...

She said he did it with a quick twist. I don't know about you, but I couldn't do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

RFK Jr: Another Crazy Candidate

It wasn't long ago that I considered voting for Robert F. Kennedy Jr. for president. He seemed sane, something we can't say about ei...