Friday, August 24, 2012

Use Your Words, People

When I went to buy gas earlier I was in a pretty good mood. After all, nobody had shot at me, I had not been diagnosed with a disfiguring disease, and the number on the scale at my daily weigh-in was well below the danger zone. I had the radio on and one of my favorite songs was playing. I pulled up to the pump and turned off the engine, ready to jump out and pump, when I noticed that the driver facing me at the adjacent gas pump was just sitting there, head in hands, looking very upset. She made no move to get out and pump gas, and all of a sudden I thought she might be having a stroke or something, so I went over to investigate. It turned out to be someone I knew--not a friend really but certainly more than a casual acquaintance, as she had owned the cafe next door to my consignment shop where I had worked every day for almost a year, and I often had lunched at her place. "June, are you okay? Is anything wrong?" She was quite exasperated as she answered, "You pulled your car up so far I couldn't reach the pump. I was just waiting for you to pull back, but I was just waiting...."

I HATE THAT! It's like when you go into the supermarket and you are not paying attention to every single other person in the store and what their needs might be and you stop to get something off a shelf and inadvertently block someone who is trying to get past you, but they don't say anything like, "Excuse me, may I get past," or "Might I just scoot my cart by yours" or "I need to get by you" or ANY FUCKING THING AT ALL, they just stand there, pissed off and sighing, rolling their eyes, and then when you finally do notice, you have to APOLOGIZE like you committed a crime. What is the deal with that? As I always say in those situations, "Try talking...it works every time."

I think this is why there are so many random mass shootings lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Bridge Too Far

Many people flipped out when, a few years back, President Trump called the media "the enemy of the people." Of course, most of the...