Tuesday, April 17, 2012

What, Exactly, Do You Mean?

An old business partner of mine with a limited vocabulary just made up words willy-nilly to fill her sentences. Sometimes they were quite convincing, like when she said her daughter went to Boston Universary, it took me a while to realize that universary is not a word. Could be, but is not. But when she crowed that her aging mother had been appointed the head of battlement at her temple, I was stymied. I never knew what she meant with that one, but I doubted it was "a low wall on a tower with spaces for shooting." She did this so often that I finally had to end our association; it was either that or shoot myself.


I recently bought a dictionary to keep in the bathroom because, let's face it, sometimes I read in there. What I like to do with my bathroom dictionary is open it to a random page and see how many words I already know, don't know, never heard of, or fit me perfectly. Today I hit the jackpot on the page with the word personify at the top and--coincidentally-- found the following words that I feel anyone would agree do personify me: I can be perspicacious. Actually, let me amend that statement and say that perspicacity is my number one outstanding quality. I am also persuasive, perverse and often pesky, and have been know to pester. I am certainly pessimistic on occasion, at times petty, and nothing if not petulant.

Those are all words I already vaguely knew, although not 100%. But it's interesting to come upon words, at this late date, that I don't know at all, like dray, garnishee, virgule, seraph, traduce and halcyon. It certainly puts things in perspective.

4 comments:

  1. Look what you have started! Now, just like a bible in the hotel room, there will be a dictionary in every bathroom.
    love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shouldn't let it bother you so much. Otherwise, you won't be able to listen or read anything. This is how all those "new" words get added into dictionaries. We use them enough (correctly or incorrectly) and they get added as real words.

    GL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Well, I didn't draw the cartoon so that's not much praise for me! Anyway, check out his work at www.savagechickens.com. (Doug Savage is the artist.)

      Delete

Obama's New America

Barack Hussein Obama relaxing at home. The situation on many of America's college campuses is dire. Not only are we learning that studen...