Friday, December 8, 2023

The Biggest Scam of All

The lie that going to college after high school is necessary in order to succeed in life has been disproven over and over. As most people know already, our richest business leaders all dropped out of school after a year or didn't attend at all, giving further evidence of their native intelligence.

As an art major at New York University in the 1960s, I had to read all of Shakespeare -- every last word he wrote, including the Sonnets. I also was required to study physics and calculus. Somehow I passed those classes, but don't ask me today what the word calculus even means. With a major in Fine Arts, after graduation I became a newspaper art director, graphic designer and eventually a feature news writer and painter. 

I could have done all of it without attending college, as never did any job interviewer ask for proof of anything beyond the contents of my art portfolio. Still, it took me from 1969 to 1986 to pay off my considerable college loans.

Colleges and universities are big business, employing thousands of people and raking in many millions from wealthy donors seeking to have their name emblazoned on a dorm wing or a gym or an arena or a  bench or whatever, god knows why. My own husband, sap that he is, still sends money annually to his alma mater since graduating 45 years ago despite knowing that it is the largest recipient of cash from foreign investors. Why does Russia give money to Carnegie Mellon University? Who knows.

I can still remember the glee in my son's best friend's voice when he got into a class at the University of Vermont, the school they attended together: "Introduction to Motown." And that was just the introduction! I imagine if you went forward you could major in Aretha Franklin or maybe Quincy Jones. Today's college students are even worse, and by that I mean dumber. They take classes in "The Music of Taylor Swift." Then they go out and join protests chanting anti-Israeli hate, clueless about what they are saying. Many of them have never heard of the Holocaust.

Save your money and let your kids go out in the real world instead of sending them to a four-year minimum-security prison where they will be indoctrinated and brainwashed by the powers that be.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Colorful, But Still Monsters

Those surly, smart-ass, know-it-all (who really know nothing) American youngsters currently holding protests at exclusive colleges and unive...