Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Introduction to Grandparents: A Crash Course


I don't have grandchildren. I suppose if I did I would love them unconditionally, as I do my son. I might even think they are "the most adorable" children that ever were born. I'm pretty sure my husband and I would dote on them. And I am absolutely certain I would never, ever, tell my friends and colleagues and the checkout lady at the supermarket anything about them. 

Drooling in public over their grandchildren's photos, videos and cute things they say is commonplace among the elderly and it makes me cringe. Really, I don't know how to react, especially when the kid in question isn't really cute at all, or the video is inane, and the allegedly clever things they say are just what every kid says at that age. Then what? How should I react? Should I fake a laugh at the non-funny quip from a 2-year-old that my friend thinks is a sign of genius? I'm at a loss.

I recently took a leap of faith and told my very best friend that I no longer want to hear the "cute" things her grandson says, especially with her mimicking his baby voice, and that while I love her and am glad she's happy, she needn't share/bore me with it any more, pretty please. It did not go over well. Now she's mad at me and says she won't tell me anything personal about anything anymore.

So I guess we all have to shut up and grin and bear it. Or at least shut up and bear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anatomy of A Bad Mood

The day starts out fine. There is no war going on outside my windows. We have plenty of food and water, and most especially coffee. The powe...